Riding uphill is hard enough as it is, don't make it tougher than it needs to be. Matt is here with 6 mistakes to avoid.
Subscribe to GCN: http://gcn.eu/SubscribeToGCN
Get exclusive GCN gear in the GCN shop! http://gcn.eu/f5
Let us know mistakes that you avoid when climbing in the comments below 👇
To make climbs more pleasant, and allow you to get up and over them faster, ex-professional cyclist Matt Stephens presents 6 mistakes that you need to avoid
In no particular order they are as follows:
1. Don't go into the red! Pace yourself, don't go flat out at the bottom.
2. Under gearing, spin to win is all well and good, but spinning at a very high cadence is simply not efficient.
3. Over gearing. You may damage your knees, and simply you are not mechanically efficient when grinding a big gear. Plus, you run the risk of actually coming to a standstill if the gradient is severe enough!
4. Shifting under load. Make sure you change gear at the right time, a poorly timed shift can result in a jammed chain due to the torque involved.
5. Climbing on the tops. Don't climb out of the saddle on the tops of the handlebars, it is very twitchy and you don't have as much control.
6. Eating. Avoid stuffing lots of energy food into your mouth on a climb. You will be unable to take in enough oxygen as the food is blocking it's passage.
Those are just some mistakes to avoid!
If you'd like to contribute captions and video info in your language, here's the link 👍 http://gcn.eu/f6
Watch more on GCN...
Top 10 Cycling Mistakes And How To Avoid Them 📹 http://gcn.eu/f8
Top 10 Cycling Excuses – For Climbing 📹 http://gcn.eu/f7
The Global Cycling Network puts you in the centre of the action: from the iconic climbs of Alpe D’Huez and Mont Ventoux to the cobbles of Flanders, everywhere there is road or pavé, world-class racing and pro riders, we will be there bringing you action, analysis and unparalleled access every week, every month, and every year. We show you how to be a better cyclist with our bike maintenance videos, tips for improving your cycling, cycling top tens, and not forgetting the weekly GCN Show. Join us on YouTube’s biggest and best cycling channel to get closer to the action and improve your riding!
Welcome to the Global Cycling Network | Inside cycling